20 December, 2011

Recipe Request #2

This is another one of my recipes that I whip up reguarly, although this one is not loved by my kids.


It's a modified version of the the Smart Slice in this Destitute Gourmet cookbook

It's low-fat, low in sugar and relatively simple. And again, has never gone wrong.

Melt in a saucepan on low:
4 1/2 Tbsp margerine/spread
1/2 Tbsp golden syrup
1/3 cup castor sugar


In a bowl mix together:
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 1/2 cups coconut
5 Weetbix or similar brand, crushed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of chopped dates

Pour melted mixture over dry ingredients and stir

Mix in 1 egg
and 1/3 cup boiling water

Let cool slightly and mix in 1/2 to 3/4 cup choc chips

Press into greased slice tin and bake at 180 degrees for 20-30 mins or until golden



You can also use walnuts, apricots, raisens in half cup quantities, and ice the top when cooked and cooled with choc or lemon icing

2 comments:

Hootnz said...

Yum sounds nice! Thanks for sharing.
Love the destitute Gourmet books... though I haven't added this one to my collection yet :)

Nikkey said...

Funny that my kids also won't eat that one but so many mums tell me about how their kids scoff up their weetbix slices - : )